As 2016 comes to an end, I am reflecting on what worked with my business this year and what didn’t. What can I do to improve my business and its outcomes in 2017? How can I become more profitable?
Some positive things happened in 2016:
- A much better source for my large rental pieces. It’s a regular furniture store, so there is lots of choice and their service has been impeccable so far. I hope it continues!
- Another larger storage unit for my own inventory.
- Met and done work for several (new to me) builders.
- My accounting system (Freshbooks) has been a life saver!
- I have hired help when needed.
Some not so positive things for 2016.
- First and foremost is the unexpected death of my assistant and a personal good friend. It will take me a while to not compare my new hired help with her help…which was superb. I am still reeling from the loss, especially on a personal level.
- Our local economy suddenly went bust because of the drastic drop in oil prices. This has caused many to lose their jobs, cut back on spending, and the ripple down effect is that most people are waiting to see what the new year brings before any committment is made in regards to selling/buying houses. Of course that has meant less work for my business.
Some things I plan to implement/change for 2017.
- A new professional website is currently being built. Stay tuned!
- A newer, larger vehicle is on top of my list when the economy improves.
- Advertising banner on the website of our local major network will be started in January.
- Investigating some ‘add-on’ services such as real estate photography, one day makeovers, open house touch-ups, etc.
- Either need better use of my storage facility or need another one.